DHCP Service

Thanks for reply , i realy love using unix ... is there anyone who can give me an instruction to configure DHCP Server in Sun Solaris 10 just a quick guide .. i know how to configure DHCP Server in Windows operating System
..But i want also learn how to configure it from the SUN SOLARIS 10... Thanks !!!! Just send me a quick guide or instruction

You can configure the DHCP service with an wizard.
just execute :

sol10 # /usr/sadm/admin/bin/dhcpmgr

When you run the tool (GUI) the first time, a configuration wizard starts.
After configuring the DHCP you can view all leases within this GUI.
When configuring you just enter a network, first and last IP leases, lease time permanent leases/dynamic leases,....

Greets

by the way thanks ... i have a second question .. what is the sol10 # is it a command to open a certain file in Solaris 10 ?

no I think that is his box name sol10 , then the # is root is currently logged in and then the path to the file /usr/sadm/admin/bin/dhcpmgr.

mine shows the path in the prompt, root@sunbox /usr/sadm/admin/bin]$

Later

exactly like gunnerjoe said the "sol10 #" is just a prompt. The system by the way dont exists, I�ve not copied the stuff out of a shell , I�ve just written it.
I just wanted to show that this tool gets executed on solaris 10 (and #=root)

thx gunnerjoe

greets

:slight_smile: Thanks for the post by the way can i just lease the ip address using dhcp service to Windows client or i have to install the client software to obtain my leases ip address... :slight_smile:

more power to all of you

God bless!!!!

Giancarlo D. Jabon

I.T student

No you can lease IPs to all operating systems that have a standard DHCP implementation , means that you can have (almost) any configuration.
At work I have a Solaris DHCP server and Windows XP DHCP Clients which works without any problems. Before we had the DHCP on win2k server and it was no problem to obtain a DHCP IP over the Solaris DHCP server.

greets