DHCP Linux and cable modem

I can do all this in windows, but Im trying to run the SuSe 8.0 professional as a gateway. I have the local (private) LAN setup with no problems, but Im having troubles getting it to use DHCP to go out on the external card to the service provider, which only uses Dynamic IP's. WHere, what and how do I get this dog to hunt?

I went into the LAN configuration adn set the external to DHCP, but when I run 'ifup' etho the DHCP Client comes back and says no IP obtained. Do I need to edit some hosts files adn etc/.conv or something like that?

Need help ASAP.

Thanks, in advance. Any help will be much appreciated!

As I understand you have a problem connecting your Linux machine to the internet. Let's for now just forget the internal network.

Here is a file that I've written a while ago, but should still be of some help. Just in the first file that is stated there put DHCP as BOOTPROTO and skip other stuff till ONBOOT=yes

Post back

Actually, those settings were in tact. However, just prior to your reply I printed out all the options for 'ifconfig' and tinkered with them for a bit and low and behold it works. After having reviewed the boot or 'dmesg', I noticed that /etc/dhcpd.conf could not be found. So I re-installed the dhcpd package and wha-lah!!!

Thanks for the response though. :cool:

Cool, glad it worked, and thanks for posting back :wink: