DHCP and DNS

I asked a similar type question in the solaris forum but i think this relates closer to networking. I am trying to setup a small NIS environment that is contained within a large company network. The client machines are getting an IP from the companys' Windows DHCP server. The NIS server has a static IP. The domain I setup is "unixnis". The FQDN is unixnis.saco.cu.edu. The clients that are obtaining IP addresses from dhcp have a FQDN as computername.saco.cu.edu. Notice the domain i created and that they should be members of is not in the list. I know im missing some basic networking concept can someone help me out?

Thanks

So is unixnis.saco.co.edu the FQDN of the Solaris box? Are you remembering to not confuse an NIS domain with a BIND domain?

Are you using NIS or NIS+? NIS+ is compatible with NIS, but you deal in hierachical domains. All changes are done in a database and all changes are logged, so that a replica server can sync if it goes down.

Keith

Thanks Guys,

I figured this out a little while ago. Apperently I was getting fed some bad information about my gateway address and subnets. Once i traced done those problem the NIS domain started working.