Device eth0 issue

Hi,

I have just installed RHEL 5.4 on a BL430c-class server and I am attempting to connect to the network only when I try and start eth0, I get the following error?

"Bringing up Interface eth0: hp device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization."

I am using a HP Ethernet Pass Thru Module on the back of my enclosure to connect.

R,
D.

It means what it says, it doesn't see an eth0 device.

What does ls /sys/class/net show?

Only displays "lo" and "sit0".

I have tried adding the eth0 config using system-config-network but the HP NIC that I use does not appear to be listed on the list of interface devices?

Perhaps you need to install the correct module/driver in order for it to load correctly.

I have located the following driver but not I think I may not be running the correct rpm command for install it:

# rpm -iv hp-e1000-8.0.25-1.src.rpm

error: cannot create %sourcedir /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES

Any idea on how I can install a .src rpm package?

---------- Post updated at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:42 AM ----------

Ok, I have just created the dir that was appently missing and have ran a "make install" against the src rpm and it has requested additional kernel-devel packages.

I have mounted my install DVD and located these rpm's but it will not install, giving the error that it is not an RPM package. Is there any way to install these packages from the install DVD or should I try and source them elsewhere?

R,
D.

you don't want the src rpm, you'd probably be better off with the binaries.

If you do wish to use the src rpm, you don't run make install, you run rpmbuild or rpm --rebuild, depending on the distribution

I believe the arguments passed would be -ba.

That would create the rpm you would use

However, the e1000 is a very well supported card and should not need drivers.

Run this command:

lspci -vv | grep -i net

That will tell you what device you need to install the drivers for

Ok I am using RHEL 5.4 so there is no "rpmbuild / --rebuild".

I created a repo from my DVD and managed to install the necessary packages.

So I have run a "make install" on the e1000 src dir and all seem good until I try and include/add the module I get the following error:

insmod: error inserting <path_to_e1000.ko>: -1 Invalid module format

Has anybody seen this before or know what the problem might be?

RHEL does have the ability to use rpm to build rpms. You are simply wrong.

Ok let me rephrase that, it does exist (rpmbuild) with the correct package however it does not contain the "-tb" options as outlined in the README for the e1000 driver install.

I can see the e1000 from "lsmod" but when I run "ethtool -i eth0" it is showing bnx2x.

I am using a Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM57711E 10G PCIe

Any ideas anyone??

I have told you already.

The e1000 driver is already there and supported by RHEL. You need the newest broadcom drivers not the e1000 driver, which is for INTEL cards.

The reason I tried the e1000(e) drivers was because the bnx2x for broadcom driver is currently installed and I am getting no light activity from the ethernet controller ??

Duff,

That is poor logic. Would you try a 13 inch tire on a 20 inch wheel because your have a flat?

e1000 is for INTEL CARDS. You need a newer bnx2x driver for your card. I suggest you try getting that. Anything else you do is a waste of time.

Ok, as this is a test box I am only getting a change to address this again. I have installed the latest Broadcom driver and now get the following error when starting up eth0:

ADDRCONF (NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Have you checked the cable? Is it plugged in at both ends? What is on the other end of the cable?

what is the output of:

ip addr

also

ethtool -i eth0

Hi,

Yes, the cable is fine. It is plugged into the switch. I have changed ports also but made no difference.

I have the output of the requested commands attached.

R,
D.

I'm not opening a rar file. You can simply put the output into text.

Sure here it is:

# ethtool eth0
driver: bnx2x
version: 1.50.16
firmware-version: BC:5.2.7 PHY:baa0:0105
bus-info: 0000:02:00.0
# ip ipaddr
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue 
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host
4: sit0: <NOARP> mtu 1480 qdisc noop 
    link/sit 0.0.0.0 brd 0.0.0.0
5: eth0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000
    link/ether 3c:4a:92:ee:d2:98 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
     inet 102.168.1.15/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global eth0
     inet6 fe80::3e4a:92ff:feee:d298/64 scope link
 valid_lft forever preferred_ltf forever]

R,
D.

It still sounds like you do not have the correct driver module for this interface.

To select the correct driver package, you should do something like the following:
(The example shows a Realtek, your output should be different)

# /sbin/lspci | grep -i net  

04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)

# /sbin/lspci -n | grep '04:00.0'

04:00.0 0200: 10ec:8168 (rev 01)

By using the Vendor & Device numbers from an ID pairing, you can check to see if your system contains an appropriate driver module for that particular device:

# grep -i 10ec /lib/modules/*/modules.alias | grep -i 8168

If this does not print out a suitable module, then ElRepo.org should be your next stop.

Search for the Vendor Device ID pairing of 10ec:8168 on the ElRepo DeviceIDs page will show that kmod-r8168 should work with this particular Ethernet controller. Then go to the download area to retrieve the appropriate binary. There are different binaries for PAE, 32bit, 64bit, etc. so make sure to select the correct one.

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback however I have already downloaded the latest Broadcom driver for the card I am using from the Broadcom website for RHEL5.4 (bnx2x ver 6) and it made no difference. I downgraded to the current version (ver 5) also just to see if it would make a difference. It originally had ver 4 installed.

In both cases the module installed successfully and could be seen from both the "ethtool -i" command and /librarymodules/<KVER>/drivers/net/bnx2x.ko.

R,
D.