Determine Solaris box network interface?

Given a new Solaris box, with a fresh, unconfigured install on it, how does one figure out what kind of network interface it has (bge,le, hme, etc)?

ifconfig -a

:slight_smile:

that only works for configured interfaces.

@akbar
if you are on a sol10 system you can use "dladm show-dev". on pre sol10 systems try a "grep -i net /etc/path_to_inst" but that doesn't work for all kind of interfaces.

ifconfig -a plumb
ifconfig -a

Hi reborg,

This sort of works. It shows me one interface, "le0". I know that there are two interfaces in the box though. One is on-board, and the other is an SBUS card with both a SCSI and an ethernet interface. I have configured this "le0" device with proper networking, but cannot get it to contact the gateway by plugging into either port.

I don't know which card is the "le0", nor do I understand why there is just one shown logical when there are two physical.

When I go to OBP and do "show-sbus", I get the following:

<#2> ok show-sbus
SBus slot f SUNW,bpp ledma le espdma esp
SBus slot e SUNW,DBRIe
SBus slot 0 qec be
SBus slot 1
SBus slot 2 cgsix
SBus slot 3

Is there possibly a driver issue here? I did a "touch /reconfigure ; reboot", with no change.

Any ideas or suggestions you have are appreciated.

dladm show-link

to see all your physical interfaces

to get the other physical interface up, find out the interface name /w the cmd above and use ifconfig to bring it up.

Hi kungpow,

dladm does not work on my solaris 9 box. According to a previous poster, it only works on 10. Unfortunately, 10 won't install on this box as it is only a sparc 20, and is not supported.

#sys-unconfig

read the man pages for sys-unconfig before using it. it might be able to help you to re-configure your ssytem to bring your other NIC back up.

i had always used that command when I was new to solaris.

I have found the "show-devs" command from the OBP to be particularly helpful. This showed me the kind of device that the second ethernet controller is, and with that information I was able to determine that it wasn't supported under Solaris 9, which explains why I can't see it in the OS.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Your assistance was very helpful in me figuring this out.

This still doesn't help me understand why the first nic isn't working - But that's an issue for another thread.