Desktops that provide virtualization support.

Hi all,

I want to buy a desktop/workstation, load Red Hat 6 and create some virtual machines to work with. Does anyone currently have systems at home that you have virtual machines on? Remember, I am not talking about server class systems, but just the ordinary desktops. I see a lot of 64-bit systems at Best Buy, Staples, and such, but usually the sales people can't answer questions about virtualization.

I have a 64-Bit HP system, but it won't do virtual machines because it does not have the right .... guts ... :slight_smile:

Anyway, what systems do you all have that work for VMs? I don't want to drop money into a system, drag it home, and then find out it won't do VM stuff.

Thanks for you input.

Hopefully this will help someone. I found a contact at Dell and this is his input regarding the Inspiron 580:

George,
It has the Intel� Virtualization Technology (Intel� VT) & is 64bit, so from a hardware perspective, it should work. Dell doesn�t validate Red Hat on these boxes, so you may have to search a little for drivers & our Tech Support will assist with hardware only when another OS is installed other than the Windows OEM. Other than that, you
should be fine.