Deployment of flar image into the global zone

Hi Folks,

I know that we can install the flar image inside solaris non-global or branded zones.
But can we install flar image in the global zone?
If yes, then how?
My use case is, while preparing setups, every time i needs to install Solaris OS (say sol10) on the machine and have to install some applications on top of it. Same procedure is followed while creating new setups. So what i am thinking is, i will install OS and applications on top of it on one machine, create its flar and deploy it on other machines. So next time i will be ready with OS+application installation within some minutes instead of spending so many hours in installing fresh OS and applications on top of it.

Please suggest.

Thanks,
Vaishey

If I understand your question correctly, then, yes.

You create a flash (flar) of a global zone that you want to replicate.

You store the flar on media accessible to a new install routine, typically on another server (NFS server).

You boot the OS DVD media as you would usually do but all install routines ask where the OS is to be installed from, usually the DVD, but you can tell it there that the installation media is a flash located somewhere else (typically over NFS). The installation then takes a different branch.

All Solaris 10 install routines that I remember all offer to take flash archive (flar) files