Dell XPS M1330 doesn't detect optical drive

I have a Dell XPS M1330 laptop. The OS is Windows 10. I had to replace the motherboard because it was bad. After replacing the motherboard I noticed the optical (DVD/CD) drive is neither detected in BIOS and OS nor making any noise at all. Everything else seems to be working fine. The optical drive was working before I replaced the motherboard. So I removed the optical drive and the connector cable and cleaned the cable and the pins on the optical drive with a toothbrush and put the laptop back and booted. This time I could hear the optical drive making noise right after I boot. When I tried to insert a CD it accepted the CD and I can hear it spinning. However, the DVD/CD drive is still not listed in BIOS nor in the OS. In the BIOS, it says "none" for fixed bay device. The DVD/CD drive is not listed in the boot menu either when I press F12 to select a boot device.

What does this tell you?

I'm thinking...............

1. Perhaps the new mobo is faulty as far as this peripheral is concerned
  2. Have you accidentally bent a pin on the mobo socket where this device plugs in?
  3. Does the mobo have a jumper wrongly set to enable this device? (Compare to old mobo)
  4. Is there a separate power connector for this device which you forgot to connect? (Probably not if it's whirring)

Can you connect this optical to another system temporarily just to check that it's working?

If the system BIOS can't see it then you have no hope until it does.

1 Like

Also, I suppose that the new mobo could have a different BIOS to the old one and now has an option to switch off the optical device.

Are the BIOS versions of the old and new mobo's the same?

If the 'new' mobo has an old BIOS perhaps you need to upgrade it.

Hi,

Looks like the problem was the mobo. Got a new motherboard off of eBay and now the new mobo detects the optical drive fine.

Thanks for the help.