Dell R740 Solaris 11.4 fwupdate ERROR Unsupported Platform

Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen!
I am trying to update the Firmware on a Bunch of Oracle 6.4 TB NVMe Flash Modules (PCI). They are currently on QDV1RD03 and i would like to get them to QDV1CP06.
In order to upgrade those cards i installed Solaris 11 on the R740, which btw is listed as Solaris 11 certified.
Thats fine, solaris 11 is running, BUT: Whenever i try to run a command from the hardware management pack (which is included in Solaris 11.4), like fwupdate or nvmeadm for example, i get an error stating: "ERROR: Unsupported Platform" without further ado.
I tried updating all packets, but that didnt change the situation.
Any input on how to further analyze the situation, for example: why i am getting that Plattform error would be great.
Also, if you are aware of a different way to upgrade the firmware on those cards: please let me know.
The original intel product is: DC P4608 6.4TB NVMe, but mine are Oracle OEM.
Kind regards

You might be out of luck in trying to update these cards on Dell R series.

Does the R740 have a PERC?

I've come across such issues before.

I would try on a different X86/X64 system.

https://www.dell.com/community/PowerEdge-Hardware-General/Intel-SSD-P4510-Nvme-not-recongnized-in-R640/td-p/7336309

It probably isn't a Dell/Solaris problem but more of a Dell/Intel problem.

Hi there!
I tried three systems i had available for testing: all of them came back with the same Error.
I also tried it without the cards present in the system: same error.
So i think its about my systems. they are all intel based.

No, it's about the cards being Oracle OEM and you are using the wrong flash tool and/or trying to flash the wrong firmware update. Although Intel manufactured, you need to find the Oracle flash tool as a minimum.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/17903/intel-ssd-firmware-update-tool.html

This Intel flash tool says it's O/S independent. Which flash tool are you using?

As I say, Oracle may have features that stop the standard Intel tool from working and Oracle may well have their own tool and firmware versions.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.