Default text editor

Hi,

sorry if something similar has already asked.
But I am interested how to change default text editor on Unix Solaris?
When I open

File Manager -> Edit -> Properties.. -> Category (Advanced Settings) -> Default Editor (Other)

I have something like:

shelltool sh -c "sleep 3; vi $FILE"

Default one is XEmscs, but I want to set nedit.

Thanks!

One way is to set the EDITOR environment variable and add it to /etc/profile.

Is this using CDE, OpenWindows or Gnome? What version of Solaris are you running?

Andrew

machine9 [8:18am] [/home/spuzh] -> uname -a
SunOS machine9 5.10 Generic_144488-04 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise

Okay, that confirms the version of Solaris that you are running. I also have Solaris 10 (SunOS 5.10) but I do not have OpenWindows. So are you using CDE's dtfile, Gnome's Nautilus, or so you have the old OpenWindows tools installed and are actually using File Manager?

I would say old OpenWindows tools installed and are actually using File Manager. Take a look at picture bellow:

here is the picture

nobody knows how to set it up?

Set Editor to Other, and replace shelltool sh -c "sleep 3; vi $FILE" by nedit "$FILE"

1 Like

You are using the old CDE editor.

You say that the default is XEmscs , but you have shown us that the default is vi .

If you have nedit on your system and want to use it instead of vi when editing a file from the File Manager; change the setting above to:

shelltool sh -c "sleep 3; nedit $FILE"
1 Like

this one has made the trick. thank you :b:

---------- Post updated at 02:20 AM ---------- Previous update was at 02:16 AM ----------

yes, XEmscs was default editor. but I have shown you the content of "Other:" tab under "Default Editor:" on my previous picture, but not "Text Editor:" on which you can see XEmscs.

I have tried this option that you have provided, but it didn't help. This one is the lucky winner: nedit "$FILE"

So why didn't you posted the real command in your original question ?

That might have save you a week. I didn't even try to understand what you were about because of the vi/XEmscs inconsistency.

One correction:
it should be nedit $FILE , without quotes.
Only then it can open a file like "two words".
(As my test on Solaris 8 proved now. I thought it would be vice versa.)