Decompressing Tar Archives (Finally!)

If you've come across this problem with unzipping/decompressing zips, you might find this helpful:

I was having a little trouble with unzipping (decompressing) tarred archives under OS 10.5 until today. My first attempt was to just simply double-click on the zip file (i.e., example.tar.gz) and allow the file to unpack, but I ran into an error message which was an "error-1, not permitted to open). I was stumped and thought it might have been the (desktop) location in which I had the file resting in. So I moved the file to root hoping it's containment might be a little more refined, obviously this had nothing to do with it, I got the same error results here also. The file was about 48Gb in size and took quite a while to unpack. Final move was to just simply utilize "Stuffit Expander," and this did the trick.
I took the tarred file and dropped it onto the Stuffit Expander shortcut in my dock and apps launched, it created a receptacle for the files to be unpacked and began unpacking them in the receptacle. Pretty sweet!
:smiley: :b: :smiley:

P.S. For all you guru's who may have already figured this one out, hats off. Sorry I'm a bit slow getting back to this, despite it's simplicity. :slight_smile:

Using command line makes this task a lot simpler:

# gunzip -c filename.tar.gz | tar xvf -

This uncompresses and extracts the contents of the tar file in one go and leaves the original *.tar.gz file still compressed.

Thanks Tony, I'll give this a shot. I think this is a bit more concise and keeps one within terminal to handle the file(s).