DEC 2000 Data Transfer to PC

Hello -

My first post here. I did some looking around; wasn't sure where to jump in or if something like this has been covered.

I have a DEC 2000 Alpha that was turned off probably 6 years ago once I had made the transition of programs and most files to the desktop PC. I have the idea that I would like to revive it for the sake of retrieving any valuable information that I may have left on it. I have DAT tapes but have no way of reading them other than to bring the system up. I suppose I could send the tapes off to be read, but there's sensitive information on the tapes.

Can anyone recommend a course of action? Should I just plug in power and turn it on? Could I remove the hard drive and attach it to a local server and communicate with it that way? I was never very good as the system administrator, but have instructions on the general boot process. I would work with our IT department to make sure the connections are correct.

I just don't know the issues I might be facing in this attempt. If this has been done before and discussed, I'd appreciate some help finding that.

Thanks...Kurt

Just to start the ball rolling:
What model is this computer?

DEC Alpha 2000/xxx

What Operating system was it running?
What filesystem format on the discs?

Oooh, really taxing me, huh? :wink: Does this help...DEC 2000 "alpha"xp (on the front of the case). It appears that we were running OpenVMS. I have some old manuals for that.

Kurt

There is an OpenVMS discussion board on the HP ITRC .
(HP own DEC).

Thanks...I'll see if I can find that.

Kurt