Debugging Our Computer Science Trivia Feature

For registered users only (guests stats TBD), I have made this trivia stats page available:

https://www.unix.com/trivia_stats.php

Will add more to this page as I have time.....

For registered members only.

For guests, is TBD.

OK . I have opened up a limited stats page to guests (until I work out some bugs managing guests submissions based on a hash in the DB) and added an "chart" icon to the stats page in the trivia area.

1 Like

I saw an "answer bug" today on Chrome running on Linux.

This is the second "Chrome on Linux" bug I have seen.

I was going to disable trivia on Linux because of this bug, but one of our Mods who really likes to play said:

So, it's still enable on Linux due to special request. :slight_smile:

Added bug notes to stats page:

I will recode this to try to fix this occasional bug on Linux / Chrome a bit later.

Update:

Decided not to go to fitness today and wrote some logging code to see if I can trap any JS or other errors which may cause an incorrect answers in the browser.

Hmmmmm ..... well I think I fixed the bug in trivia.. and so far it looks great after over 100 flawless log file entries, but I will wait until 1000 to "call it done".

Today, I coded some I very extensive logging going on which confirms all (client and server side), with triple checks and more.... and there are zero errors so far.

So, if you get a chance to play trivia today, that will help testing.

We are close to 10,000 answers submitted since initial release.

First Milestone!

10,000 Trivia Questions Total Answered

Update:

I have trapped the error which was causing an occasion error on the browser side and written code to prevent it.

The issue was related to users playing trivia with multiple web pages open in the browser on a single computer.

Update and Status:

• We now have over 960 quality questions in the DB.
  • There has been over 10,600 submissions to date.
  • The number of user submissions is rising steadily so far, reaching 1.14 QPS today.
  • The prior bug, based primarily on browsers with multiple windows open, has been squashed.
  • Guests currently submit trivia answers 13 times more than registered members.
  • The average score of all guests is 64.7%.
  • The average score of all registered users sans Neo is 69.1%.

TODO (Low Priority Overall):

1. Build leaderboards for (1) countries and (2) guests based on guest user hashes.
  2. Build leaderboards for registered users: Low priority since guests playing trivia far outnumber registered users.
  3. Write code to integrate into for badging system: Low priority since guests playing trivia far outnumber registered users.
  4. Add around 37 more questions to bring the DB total questions to 1000. (Update: DONE)
  5. Enhance summary stats page with more meta statistics.

Basically, I'm just about done with this first alpha release; with just a bit more UI work to do.

This debugging thread remains open in the event anyone finds a bug:

Otherwise, here is the current status:

1000+ Computer Science Trivia Questions at UNIX.COM

Update: Turned off trivia code debug logging since all is going well at this time.

Thanks to vbe for spotting two errors (wrong answers) in the trivia DB:

I have corrected the two errors and changed the scores for all users in the DB to reflect the right answer for two questions (#287 and #375).

In order to help keep the integrity of the trivia questions as good as we can, I am not going to publish the correct answers here, only that I have corrected the DB and adjusted all user scored. Also, if anyone else notices any errors, please send me either (1) the trivia question ID number or (2) a screen shot. Normally, the ID is all I need to quickly check the DB for answers, but a screen shot is helpful for browser-based errors (if any). Thanks.

So for, over 30,000 trivia questions have been answered by users. If anyone finds any errors in an answer in the DB, please message me and if confirmed, I will update the DB including all user scores, like I just did with #287 and #375. Thanks again.

... issued vbe the blue Bug Hunter bag for his recent help in bug reporting. Thanks again Victor! Very helpful and well done!

Great debugging job!

Victor (vbe) found another issue in the trivia DB and I have confirmed the bug and fixed it.

Also. I have adjusted all recorded user scores to this question (47 total adjustments) to reflect the correct answer.

FYI, we are approaching 40,000 answered questions in computer trivia.

Thank you so much Victor for finding this bug so I could fit and adjust the scores easily!

Well done!

OBTW, Victor also leads everyone in computer trivia with a total score of over 91%, having answered 158 questions to date. Victor's current score of 91.1% is a full 20% higher than the average score of all members, which is 70.1%; and his score is close to 50% higher than for guests (unregistered members).

This is really impressive, as the questions can be very tricky at times and Victor is a native French speaking, not English.

Wow! Very impressive.