DCHP server assigning a wrong Address

Pls could you help me diagnose my problem. I have a system which is a DHCP server and also the Remote Access Server. The DHCP server allocate normal address within the scope range to the LAN system. why it allocates abitrary number such as
255.255.0.0 class B address to the remote clients. However if l release the address and renew after connection has been established. l will still have the same class of address which is B but with a different hosts number . e.g 169.254.217.x
I have two network card on my system with two separate addresses one address is for the proxy server while the other address is for the mailserver.
Pls can someone tell me was is really wrong I had try to re-install the DCHP server but all is the same.

Thanks

Kayode

I have the problem resolved. I disable the remote access server and re-configured it. I had sure the proxy server address was attached. The server then assigned the addresses to the RAS immediately the connection was established the address was assigned to the remote clients.

Thanks

Kayode