Data recording on Network

Hello, I have been task to record data on the network between two computers. On one side I have a Solaris 8 computer and on the other side there is a VX/Works machine. The messages that come across are data messages using a UDP protocol on a dedicated IP address. Does Solaris have anything I can use to accomplish this task? Or is there anything out that I can install?

Thanks in advanced

If you want to monitor network traffic between those computers you could use snoop. But thats kinda limited, so it depends on what kind of data you want to record.

Darwin

give tcpdump a try

Not really. Recording traffice is exactly what it does, any an all traffic that makes it as far as the interfaces. However it is not a good tool for most people for examining the data, ethereal (among others) might be a tool that could be used for that. You can examine the snoop recordings using etherreal.

Thank you so much for your inputs. It looks like ethereal is the tool of choice. One of the functions that need to be perform is recording data and play the recorded data back.

Does ethereal have a playback capability?