D Class HP 9000 Server Setup

I work for a school and just received a set of HP-UX machines. I did ok with the Vizualize workstations in that they had video cards and all, but I am attempting to set up the D Class (D250) servers that we received and they are terminal only. I have the terminals and keyboards for them, but am completely confused as to how to hook them up and what cables are needed and things of that nature. I downloaded the installation guide for them but it doesnt go into detail at all. Can anybody give me a clue?

If it looks like this on the backside, then you are probably looking to plug into #13 - Serial port/Console

D250 drawing

Looks like a DB9 connection - sorry, but I don't remember which pins you would need - hopefully you have a cable already.

Yes it looks exactly like that and is a DB9 but unfortunately I have no idea what pinout I need either and have tried several to no avail.

The terminal has three connectors on it. A DB25 serial, a DB25 Parallel and a DB9 Serial. The DB25 serial is noted as communications port 1, the DB25 Parallel is just noted as a Parallel port, and the DB9 is noted as Communications port 2.

I have tried an RS232 cable to no avail and several other pinned serial-like cables too. I just kinda at wits end with them but still excited to get to mess with an HP-UX Server.

DB25 noted as comm port 1 is the one you probably want to use on the terminal - The RS-232 connection (25 pin) you would need pin 2, pin 3, and pin 7. At the other end pin 2 and 3 get switched (cross-over) but I'm not sure where pin 7 should be - it may be pin 4 in the DB9.

Looks like pin 5 on the db9 - see example

Is there any way to tell what pin out you have in a cable short of cutting it open?

See this which says:
Pin outs for this cable are:

25 pin male 9 pin female
console cpu
4---------------------1

2---------------------2

3---------------------3

5-
6--------------------4

7---------------------5

20--------------------6

8---------------------7

Thank you very much, thats exactly what I needed as far as pinouts goes and now thanx to their forum I have a part number for it too.... But My other question still stands, how can you tell the pinouts of a cable without shredding the cable?

You still only really need pin 2,3, and 5 to 7 - as far as telling what your cable is without cutting it, use a multimeter. You can then tell if it switches 2 and 3 internally or not.

your saying check the resistance accross the pins?

Yes. Black lead touches pin 2 on one end - red lead touches pin 2 on other end. If 2 and 3 are crossed internally, you won't see anything.

Out of all the tons of old cables I found lying around, I found one that tested for 2,3 crossed and 5,7 crossed With the connection going from DB25 to DB9. Hopefully this will work when I get the Server finally dug out of the closet.

Thanks for the help guys!