cygwin - ubuntu

I like using cygwin. Does anybody know how to enable sudo and other ubuntu like commands? Thanks in advance.

Cygwin is an okay teaching or porting tool, but fundamentally it's just not Linux. It's not a backdoor, it runs inside Windows, and has to do things the normal Windows way. A sudo for windows doesn't make a lot of sense when logins are graphical in nature.

There's multitudes of things about Windows which just don't fit the UNIX model and refuse to be worked around -- like the login system. And the things in Cygwin which do work, you might sometimes be surprised just how much work is necessary for some really fundamental UNIX things. Windows doesn't even have fork(), for crying out loud.

That sucks. I wish there was a ubuntu shell or something those lines. Thanks for the info.

I noticed that running cygwin is slower than running a virtual machine with linux without GUI (but maybe a little simpler and more comfortable).

jae,

Ubuntu, to my knowledge, does not have its own shell. Perhaps you just want access to bash?

I would like to get the same bash as ubuntu. With the sudo command and such.

You are perhaps confused. Ubuntu uses sudo because there is no "real" use of the superuser ID. With cygwin, you are assuming similar privileges as your windows user. You can run commands without sudo.

sudo is not part of BASH. Neither is ls, mv, cp, sed, awk, cut, and so forth -- BASH just ties them all together for you. Only a very few like printf and echo and expr are probably built-ins.

A big exception would be busybox -- it's an all-in-one program, not needing cygwin at all, which includes BASH and over a hundred common shell commands all as builtins. Unlike cygwin, you can carry it around on a thumbdrive.

It doesn't have a sudo, though. sudo for windows inside BASH continues to fit Windows as badly as sudo for Windows without BASH.

Ubuntu uses the Debian Almquist (dash) shell by default.

The builtin shell in BusyBox is not bash. It is ash. See busybox source

The version I linked definitely answers to 'bash'.

$ ./busybox.exe
BusyBox v1.19.1_18_0-306-geb28f73.git (2011-01-16 17:56:02 ICT) multi-call bina
y.
Copyright (C) 1998-2009 Erik Andersen, Rob Landley, Denys Vlasenko
and others. Licensed under GPLv2.
See source distribution for full notice.

Usage: busybox [function] [arguments]...
   or: busybox --list[-full]
   or: function [arguments]...

BusyBox is a multi-call binary that combines many common Unix
        utilities into a single executable.  Most people will create a
        link to busybox for each function they wish to use and BusyBox
        will act like whatever it was invoked as.

Currently defined functions:
        [, [[, ar, ash, awk, base64, basename, bash, bbconfig, bunzip2, bzcat,
        bzip2, cal, cat, catv, cksum, cmp, comm, cp, cpio, cut, date, dc, dd,
        diff, dirname, dos2unix, echo, ed, egrep, env, expand, expr, false,
        fgrep, find, fold, getopt, grep, gunzip, gzip, hd, head, hexdump, kill,
        killall, length, ls, lzcat, lzma, lzop, lzopcat, md5sum, mkdir, mv, od,
        pgrep, pidof, printenv, printf, ps, pwd, rm, rmdir, rpm2cpio, sed, seq,
        sh, sha1sum, sha256sum, sha512sum, sleep, sort, split, strings, sum,
        tac, tail, tar, tee, test, touch, tr, true, uncompress, unexpand, uniq,
        unix2dos, unlzma, unlzop, unxz, unzip, usleep, uudecode, uuencode, vi,
        wc, wget, which, whoami, xargs, xz, xzcat, yes, zcat

$

It may be they just gave ash two names, though. That'd be annoying.

Yet another reason I can avoid it :).

Can anyone post a link to a place that explains the difference between ubuntu and other versions of linux a little more in detail.

There are literally hundreds of different distributions of Linux. What you are asking for is nearly impossible.

Ubuntu is a derivative of Debian, but does make some sweeping changes that are either liked or seriously disliked.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.