CVS Configuration Help

Hello,

I have read a great deal of documentation on CVS and I hope I have not overlooked what I need but I have certain issues with CVS that I cannnot resolve.

The setup for the /etx/xinetd.d file I have is as follows:

# default: off
# description: The CVS service can record the history of your source \
#              files. CVS stores all the versions of a file in a single \
#              file in a clever way that only stores the differences \
#              between versions.
service cvspserver2
{
        disable                 = yes
        port                    = 2401
        socket_type             = stream
        protocol                = tcp
        wait                    = no
        user                    = root
        log_type                = FILE /var/log/cvspserver2.log
        passenv                 = PATH
        server                  = /usr/bin/cvs
        env                     = HOME=/var/cvs
        server_args             = -f --allow-root=/var/SWICVS pserver
#       bind                    = 127.0.0.1
}

I do not want to cvs to run as root. Can I change users? If I can , does server_args have to change?

As well I want users to be able to access the repositories ONLY by ssh. How do I make the necessary configurations?

Thanks

You should be able to run cvs pserver as any user. On many systems, there is usually a "cvs" user dedicated to serving cvs repository only. No, there should not be any server args change needed.

The allow-root just tells cvs the root of the repository being served by pserver and has nothing to do with user root.

If you search for "cvs over ssh" you should find some articles about how to configure it. Let's try them first.

I have read a lot of them. The problem with most of them is that they provide methods for the CLIENT TO connect to the server via ssh2. What I need however is a method to ensure that that the clients HAVE CONNECT VIA SSH2. If I make the connection variable pserverssh2 instead of pserver will that to do the trick?