Cut, Copy and Paste with X

One of the things that I have learned to take for granted in the Win32 world is the cut, copy and paste hotkeys of ^X, ^C and ^V.

I use these keys all the time under Win32 to copy and paste information from one GUI into another GUI.

My question is, does X have a similiar standard?

Sometimes I find that some X apps support the ^C and ^V copy and paste (ie, Opera, StarOffice), but I cannot paste into another application. Is there some standard that I am missing, perhaps over cut, copy and paste hotkeys that I am missing?

The most common method of copy/pasting is with the mouse buffer. i.e. highlight/copy with left button, and paste with middle button. This works in just about all X apps.

I will give this a try.

I am just so used to using Shift and Arrow Keys/Home/Shift for highlighting and then the ^X/^C/^V.

I have found the mouse support for cut, copy and paste to be spotty but it seems to work for the most part. There are some more modern apps that support the ^C/^V/^X of Win32.

For example, I can copy with ^C from gnumeric and ^V paste into StarOffice, etc. Star Office didn't like the middle button for paste. When I hit the middle button, it allows me to use the mouse to scroll positions.

Xterm brought up various menu options with the middle button instead of paste; But pasting can be done via the menu.

I was able to use both the mouse and ^C/^V/^X in Opera for cut and paste operations. I reckon it is just a trial and error process. But now I have an idea of what to try when I need to cut and paste from one app into another (and that's important stuff!)

I've noticed in some applications that alt+c / alt+v work (Netscape is one).