crypt utility

Hello all,

I'm currently on HP-UX and will be moveing shortly to Red Hat Linux. Is there a crypt or an equivalent utitlity on RHEL?

Thanks

Yes. But the exact implementation will vary from HP-UX for sure. In other words, your encrypted files coming over from HP-UX won't be decryptable, necessarily.

There is a standard POSIX call, crypt() in unistd.h. But I would never bet the rent money on being able to unencrypt something from another OS. HP-UX and Linux both support it.

1 Like

Thanks Jim..I'm not planning on taking an encrypted file from HP-UX and decrypt it on Linux. We currently have a nightly job that encrypts some flat files in HP-UX environment. When we move to Linux I just want to make sure that the job runs fine in the new environment..I guess I need to modify the script to call the Linux encrypt function..Would you by any chance have the syntax or some code samples. I don't have access to the Linux machine yet and I'm not able to play around with it yet..

Thanks

Are you talking about a shell script or a program written in C? In your first post you talk about a crypt utility; in the previous post you talk about an encrypt function.

If you are talking about an equivalent to the HP-UX crypt utility on RHEL, check out the mcrypt utility. The manpage for mcrypt is readily available on the Internet.

One of our shell scripts call crypt utility on HP-UX. Once we migrate to Linux we need to make sure that the shell script works. Let me look at the mcrypt utility that you suggested. Thanks for your response.