Crontab cannot run by non-root user

Good morning everybody. I have just receiedv a complaint from our DBA saying that if he create a scripts to run some Oracle performance scripts using crontab and the scheduling part is ok but the job is failed when I checked on /var/adm/cron/log.
I have tried his scripts using Oracle id directly run on shell and everything is ok. But when I set the cron job and the job will fail.
Question :
1) How to check what is the error message for the cron job failed? When I check the log, the only thing it showed is "failed" with no reason.
2) I have also done the checking on whether Oracle is able to run the cron job by checking on cron.allow and cron.deny. Both are ok. I also check on /etc/security/user file whether the deamon of oracle is on "true" and yes, it is. And Oracle is also having sub-group of cron group.
So, is there anything else I can check to find out why the cron job failed?

Tq in advance.

Hi,
my OS is Solaris but you can try to check the mail account of the user you setup the cronjob.
In solaris the default logging is the mail account (mailx).
Best regards
joerg

Thank you very much for the help. I have finally found the error.
Yes, the error log will post in the mail.
The reason of why it doesn't run is due to eventhough we are using Oracle id to create the cron job, it doesn't mean the job will be run by Oracle priviledge. Thus, to run a Oracle job, we need some setting on the scripts which we did n't do it as normally we run the script using Oracle ID directly and all setting already provided when we sign in as Oracle.
Tq.

Hi kwliew999,

I m also having the same problem.I m running the backupscript through cron with oracle user. but it is giving "sqlplus command not found" . can u tell me what parameter u set in script?
Early reply is awaited.

Thanks in advance.
Surendra

@sur1805
It sounds like your PATH environment variable is not set correctly. You may want to specify the full path to the sqlplus command in the crontab, or make it in to a script which sets this before running sqlplus.