cron sync

hi all ,

i have a E4900 server cluster that consists of 2 Servers (Cluster1 and cluster2 )

all of my crons are located under /var/spool/cron/crontabs .

I am trying to put them on a shared place , so thati dont have to edit both crons on every system .

thank you
cheers

Why not NFS export the /var/spool/cron/crontabs directory from one server and mount it on the other? You will be able to edit the files on one system through crontab, but you will have to restart cron on the other system for the changes to take effect.

I dun agree to use NFS export here.
Using cluster is to achieve high availability.
Use NFS for cronjob will cause the eliminate the usefulness of clustering.

The uptime of the application will only be as good as the NFS server itself.

If using NFS is a must, use a very very high uptime Enterprise NAS is an option.

Else you can use cluster filesystem that can be mounted on both system.

PS: Failing over cronjob has been a tricky problem for Open System like Solaris and Veritas Cluster. Unless the cluster is tightly integrated into the OS, e.g. Queue Manager in OpenVMS, this problem is very very hard to solve.
Frankly speaking, I dun have a good solution too.

I would encourage the application owner to design and write their application (cronjob) in a HA manner instead of depending on the OS cron to run their job (as it is on local HDD).

I agreed with Izzy. NFS is a bad solution. THis is a common problem with an easy fix. A cron on each node must be configured. You then add a wrapper to each cron script to check which node the particular service group is running on. Veritas provides a hostactive state that you can query to determine if the service group is active. And if so, execute the script else quit.