Cron not running

Hello All,

I have installed a few crons on a machine. But for some reason the crons just don't run. I have checked the permissions on the files and also restarted the cron daemon. But it doesn't seem ti help. Can anyone suggest any other things I can do to get it running again?

Regards,
Garric

Maybe there are errors the script(s) that are cronned. Do the things that are cronned run on their own without errors?

No. To test, I am just running this

0 4 * * * /bin/date >> /tmp/test1

Please post the output of anything in /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log at around 4:00 AM and ps -ef | grep cron

And check your mail; usually you get an email with the output from a command if it generated any (such as when there was an error, with any decently implemented command).

What OS are you using? I remember chasing just this problem a while ago, having switched from Solaris to Suse. On Solaris just dropping a file into /var/spool/cron worked, but on Linux you have to get crond to reread it by

crontab <file> -u user

Hi,

I dont have /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log file. I checked in /var/log/messages and there seemed to be no log there as well.

Here is the output from the ps command

# ps -ef | grep cron
root 7292 1 0 Apr10 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/cron
root 29157 28970 0 18:02 pts/9 00:00:00 grep cron