Critical Sevices and Process to be monitor on UNIX servers

Need to note the list of critical / important services and process need to monitor on unix server always with one line explanation for severity.

Thanks in advance.

At first glance, and without any detail here, it seems a duplicate of SNMP Walk need to enable.

If not, can you explain how this is different and answer the same questions as in the other thread? You don't give us a lot to go on in either of them.

Robin

Hi rbatte1,

SNMP walk need to enable is different query.

Here I'm asking what are the process are critical to monitor on unix, as per my knowledge below are the process important to monitor,

1. ps
  2. sar
    03 .top
  3. vmstat
    05 .swapinfo
    06 .bdf (disk utilization)

Please let me know other than above need to include on critical monitoring with one line justification to monitor.

HP had software for monitoring such as perfview and glance that unfortunatly is being obsoleted... because what you gave above are the native unix commands one woul use to monitor trace system activity not to be monitored...

It depends what you want to measure. The vmstat command can give you a lot condensed to a single line and repeated as often and for as long as you like. That would normally be my starting point for a monitor of performance.

The bdf output for filesystems is good too, but you might run into problems if the length of the device names or filesys mount points are quite long as they will split to different lines.

Have a read of the manual pages for each and see what you think. Be careful with the column alignments if you want to drag the data out to use elsewhere. I think that there were official tools that HP supplied, such as Glance, but I've never used them I'm afraid.

You need to ask yourself "What am I wanting to monitor?" or you can spend lots of time collecting and formatting vast amounts for no purpose.

Robin

For monitoring i would recommend WBEM.

It has various providers for most demands, with HPSIM software it can be a great alerting / monitoring tool.

Other then that, for SNMP stuff, use Nagios or similar software, it will make your life easier and you will be able to draw pictures for the management.

Hope that helps
Regards
Peasant.

1 Like