Creating multiple worksheets in CSV file

Hello,

I've been tasked with sending 3 types of data (file size, row count, and file name) to a csv file every month for various vendors. I have been asked to put this in one csv or xls file with each vendor being a different tab (or worksheet). Until now, we have been finding and emailing this information out manually, but they would like to have it all put in one place.

Is it possible to do this? And if not all in one file, is there another way to automate this that might require a few extra steps but where the result is the same?

I'm using kornshell...

Thanks

Well, I have a feeling the answer is "no, it's not possible," or "It might be possible, but will result in so much trouble that it's not worth it."

I'm finding no answers online if I google, and none of my current or former co-workers have done it, plus no answers to similar questions on this site, so I suspect the answer is no.

My co-worker and I surmised that the best probable solution is to create multiple csv files and then use VB (or VBA or html) to put them all together.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Even if there are none, I still want to thank the moderators for hosting this site - it's great, and I have always been grateful for the answers I get, thanks! :slight_smile:

Hi,

CSV has no notion of separate worksheets. Possibly some applications can load it as set of worksheets.

I dont know I understood your current process of reporting.
Probably you need to produce CSV for every worksheet
and load it manually to Excel.
Also you could produce one CSV with added information about vendor. Once a month you will load it and use macros for distributing entries to proper worksheets.

Regards

Yes, exactly what I was thinking regarding creating multiple csv files. I hadn't thought of macros though, thank you! I have no experience with macros, but from what I've heard they can do, that might be just the ticket for at least automating the updating of the monthly file. Then, as you said, load each vendor manually into excel.

Well, off I go to learn about macros - is that something that unix can do, or is that strictly a Windows or SAS thing?

If you're familiar with perl, you might try

Spreadsheet::WriteExcel - Write to a cross-platform Excel binary file. - search.cpan.org