Creating livecd with custom applications installed

Hi all,

I recently started using ubuntu.

I have studied available documentation to set up the live cd on ubuntu site. But can't seem to find what I am looking for.

I have few applications - www and local applications - which I want to be present on the live cd. How can I create a livecd with www apps (CMS etc) and local applications such as anti-virus or a mail server? These apps may create different files & directories during their setup and/or may link to other system components.

One option I thought is to create a VM image and set up all required applications but then how'd I create a livecd (iso) from this? And the size of the disc would become large. I am kind of stuck now.

Request you to please share pointers in this regard.

Many Thanks,
morningSunshine

---------- Post updated 07-02-10 at 03:36 AM ---------- Previous update was 07-01-10 at 03:24 PM ----------

No response!! C'mon folks, I'm sure someone has gone over this sometime.. :slight_smile:

i would suggest installing ubuntu onto a USB stick or memory card, alternatively to using a live CD, since you cannot simply install applications onto a CD like that. VM images are no exception on a CD.

also, you shouldn't have to worry about anti-virus apps, ubuntu is very secure and isolated from 90%+ of existing malware. the 10% being cookie trackers within web browsers which could be intercepted by extensions like ABP (adblock plus).

i know this isn't entirely what you want to hear but that's the best i can offer with my knowledge.

i just came across something in the Software Center that will do exactly what you are requesting! it's called the Ubuntu Customization Kit.

it's purpose is to customize live CD's

i apologize for the double post