Creating a shared filesystem

Hi everybody,
Is it possible to create a Shared Filesystem on Network to be accessed from 2 Systems?
Both systems are AIX but with different versions. One of these systems is AIX 4.3 & the other is AIX 5.2.

Thanks in advanced

you need nfs (network filesystem) which is default installed on aix

use "smitty nfs" or edit /etc/exports (see man nfs for syntax) and use "exportfs directorytoshare"
on one machine to export a filesystem, on the other machine use

mount remotehost:/remotedir /localdir

or mount with smitty nfs

you need dns or /etc/hosts entries for the client on server side

no problem with aix 5.2 and 4.3, but use nfs v3 and not v4

Thank you very much funksen, you guide me to the right way, because I never used a Shared Folders or Filesystems on UNIX platforms.

Because this thread about sharing I would like to share with you what I did.

First thing, the purpose of creating a Shared Filesystem is to Migrate huge data (1.2 TB) from old system to the new one.

The steps that I walked through it are:

A) On the New System:
1- Creating a filesystem called /bkup (JFS2) , with size of 1.2TB.
2- Starting the NFS Deamons using command startsrc -g nfs.
3- Exporting the /bkup filesystem using SMIT as below:
smit mknfsexpB) On the Old System:
1- Creating a directory called /bkup.
2- Starting the NFS Deamons using command startsrc -g nfs.
3- Mounting the /bkup filesystem as following:
mount newsys:/bkup /bkup
Unfortunately, I encountered a problem that prevent me from completing the whole task. The problem was related to Filesystem limitations, and it happens with me from the Old System.

Actually, I can not copy a file that exceed 2GB to this filesystem (/bkup) or creating a file with size more than 2GB on this filesystem.

I hope if any body can told me how I can make the /bkup filesystem accepts Large Files although this filesystem was created on the New System & it is Enhanced Journal Filesystem.

Thank in advance.

check ulimit -a on the client userid you are using and on the server ulimit -a for nobody

one of these values is set to 2gb max file size

change in /etc/security/limits

you can also allow the client to write with root ulimits on server side by adding the atttribute -root=hostname (not 100% sure with syntax)to /etc/exports

edit: when you change limits you have to relogon

In fact, I already enabled the root access to an exported File System. The contents of the file /etc/exports on the New System (NFS Server) are:

/bkup -root=oldsys,-access=oldsys

Regarding the ulimit, I don't have any idea about it, so I will try to do what you said & check.

I will update you.

Thanks

I checked NFS client (Old System AIX 4.3) with the command ulimit -a. I thought if I modified the fsize to be unlimited the problem will be solved, but this is not true. I modify the fsize to be unlimited but still I could not create or copy files that excees 2GB on this Filesystem.

Any body have an idea about how to make the Filesystem unlimited with file size?

check root/nobody ulimit on server

Thanks a lot funksen.

I check the fsize on the NFS Server & it is equal to unlimited, but I detect that the problem was from the NFS Client.

The following are what I did before solving the problem:1- I changed the fsize to unlimited by invoking the command:
ulimit -f unlimited unlimited
2- I exit & relogin again. The problem still exist & if run ulimit -a the fsize return to its default value.

Steps that I resolve the problem:
1- I changed the fsize to unlimited using SMIT:
a) Run smitty.
b) Go through SMIT main menu (Security & Users --> Users --> Change / Show Characteristics of a User).
c) For the root & nobody users I changed the parameters Soft FILE size & Hard FILE size to value -1.2- I exit & relogin again. The problem disappeared & if run ulimit -a the fsize returns the value unlimited.

To confirm that every thing is fine I run the below command:
dd if=/dev/zero of=testFile bs=1048576 count=409
This command is to create a new file with size of 4GB, and when I run it before changing the limitations of the Filesystem, it was tirmenate after the file size reached 1GB only. After I changed the Filesystem limitations it is run without problems & generate a new file caled testFile with size of 4GB.

The normal JFS filesystem will not accomodate a file size of 2G or over without the large file enabled being set. Use the lsfs command to check the settings on the filesystem.