Creating a Linux Distro

I have been using Linux OS since 4 years and I'm very interested to know how to create a Linux Distro. I have heard about LFS.
I would just like to know, what do I need to create a Linux Distro?
I'm not a programmer, if I have to create a Linux Distro, what programming languages do I need to know.
And also, how many people are required and how much time will it take to create a Linux Distro? Or anything Unix-like..

Thanks in Advance.

Creating a linux distro means having full control over what programs, what kernel patches, etc, etc. your distro can install and maintaining that entire wad of stuff -- deciding what stays and what goes, what new things to add, which patches to skip, which to keep, which to backport, deciding when kernel upgrades should and shouldn't happen, keeping features consistent inside versions, building and testing everything you have for every architecture you want to support... What languages do you need to learn amounts to what languages does your system use?

Unless you're making a very tiny special-purpose distro with a very limited set of packages, it is not a small undertaking and usually done in teams.

1 Like

Thank you a lot for your reply, Corona688. I guess I have a lot of learning to do about various types of kernels, packages, upgrades, etc.

I had asked the same question on Ubuntu Forums, they said I should first create a working system based on LFS first and then create something unique. And also I can help with the ongoing projects from DistroWatch.com

I should point out that T2 (News in the Open T2 world) has a new version released just days ago. This is a software development kit for the serious distribution developer.