create email w/ ASCII attachment via command-line

All,

I need to email an ASCII data file to a business partner, and intended on creating a Korn Shell script to create an email message (minimal text), and attach the ASCII data file to the email.

It seems this is not as easy as I had thought it might be. sendmail does not support attachments, and the Unix Admins said we did not have a utility that can handle sending attachments (via command-line) in our Solaris 8 world (OS 5.8).

The Unix Admins indicated they might be able to install something from a source such as GNU, as long as it's a trusted source.

Any (free/robust) utilities come to mind that can handle the command-line email attachment??

(Note, I am experiemtning w/ redirecting the ASCII data as the 'body' of the email, but, our company disclaimer is appended to all out-going emails...not sure if our partner will accept this - or if they'd even accept the data as the body of the email)

TIA

See this thread.

Wow. That works like a champ.

Thanks!

ELM is a great utility, but some people have problem with getting their companies to buy/install it.

That script is great I have used it several times since copying it last week.

This script is simpler to use than ELM is as well. So I like it even more. With ELM I always had to copy in the attachment while in the program or I guess you can do it from the command line as well, but I never used that functionality.

:cool: