Create a desktop launcher for programs

hi all,

i want to create a desktop launcher for multiple programs and save it to everyones users desktop

i want to create a launcher panel with multiple icons for programs like firefox, chrome, libre office etc etc and when they click on the disired program it opens up the program

is this possible

thanks,

rob

---------- Post updated at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:57 PM ----------

just thought of another really simple way

mkdir /applications

and in the aplications folder will be different scripts like

---------------------

#!/bin/bash

/usr/bin/firefox

------------------------------

and this will start up firefox when they click the firefox.sh

will this work?

---------- Post updated at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:58 PM ----------

resolved!!!

i found the correct way to do it

make a file called "firefox.desktop" make note of .desktop NOT .sh and write this in the file

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Run Firefox
Comment=Run Firefox
Exec=/usr/bin/firefox
Icon=
Terminal=false
Type=Application

created a soft link for it on my end users desktop and now when they double click it in applications folder it opens firefox

1 Like

Nice to see people not just asking and waiting for the work to be done by others, but trying also by themselves in parallel, and better finding a solution and share with the community - That is exactly the spirit we expect and encourage!
Thanks for sharing

All the best
P.S. I will not flag the thread as solved, just to see if others come with other solutions, all benefit for all of us...