cp does not like filenames with accents?

Hi:

mkisofs -graft-points -rational-rock -joliet -joliet-long -full-iso9660-filenames -iso-level 2 -o /tmp/image.iso  STORE1/=/almacen/strauss

In /almacen/strauss there are filenames containing not only spaces but accented characters as well. I burned the image to DVD, with the result that all spaces and accents were conserved. This seems to contradict use of the option -full-iso9660-filenames as well as -iso-level 2, and has an undesirable side effect, as will be seen.

I now copy the DVD to the hard disk, and if the current directory is in an NTFS partition, I get

$ cp -r /mnt/cd0/STORE1 . 
cp: cannot create regular file 'some_file_name': Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character.

for those filenames that contain an accent.

Any way to avoid this cp error?

Slackware 14.0

Is it imperative that the native charset remain in tact on the destination side?
If that is the case: Can you set the locale of the process doing the copy to match what is on the disc? If you do this every app you run against your will have to be set to use that special locale.

Otherwise use tar and iconv

mkdir /newdir
cd /mnt/cd0/STORE1
tar -c --file /dev/tty   |  ( cd /newdir ; | iconv [conversion options here] | tar xf )

[conversion options here] == you need to supply this.

Thank you, jim.

Unluckily, it is. These files were created by downloading web pages from internet. If the foo_files get renamed, then all appearances of 'foo_files' in foo.html would have to be renamed too. It seems that the only way out is to be careful when downloading HTML files and change the name, in the Save As dialog box, if appropriate.