Corel Draw like software for Ubuntu

Hi guys,

I need a software for Ubuntu
*which has the capabilities of Corel Draw
*which can open/import and use a .cdr template, i.e., template created by Corel Draw.
*which has the same color codes, i.e., names for colors

I have looked through Google, some suggested ones are Inkscape, Xara, Open Office Draw, but I need info from a first-hand experienced user. I have no time at the moment to install and experiment with various softwares and find out by myself whether a software can be used for a .cdr template and color-compatible. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Apprentice

i haven't tried myself, but try Gimp

Thanks a lot! I'll do so, but now I've got another problem :slight_smile:

Hello!

Facing the same problem (among many others) with moving to Ubuntu from Win, but I'm not giving up, now I have two separate computers one for work and one for learning Ubuntu, so I can get a bit experienced user and shift completely to Linux.
I wouldn't like to use wine, I'll rather try to find alternatives for software I've been using.
So I also need a replacement for Corel on Ubuntu. Gimp cannot open .cdr
Thanks!

go for inkscape. it won't open cdr files cause this is a proprietary format used by corel, but you can use svg files...

There is no software like Corel Draw for Ubuntu. I gave up looking for one, but quite interested in if anyone finds one that can work with .cdr.

I'm pretty sure we won't find one, DukeNuke2 is right, but svg seems reasonable to me, unfortunately I didn't have time to try inkscape yet.

The .cdr files from corel are proprietary. One way around this is to save the file as a Scalable Vector Graphic (.svg) in CorelDraw and then open it in InkSpace. Another option is to use sk1 - sK1 Project