core files not getting generated

Hi,

We have an application ASPA . The application related processes are running in /ASPA/bin directory . now whenever a process terminates abruptly , a core file should be generated (correct me if i am wrong) in the
/ASPA/bin directory . But i am not able to see any such files . The processes are stopping abruptly for the past few days and i need to find the root cause . Please provide you valuable suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Hi.

If this can help you, in Red Hat exists:

ls -l  /proc/sys/kernel/core*

In these files you can configure core files.

However, Solaris doesn't use the Gnu/Linux approach. Core file generation is configured with the coreadm command.

You can set it not to dump cores at all, to dump cores in a specific directory or in the faulty process directory. In the latter case, the directory must be writable by the user running the process.

coreadm(1M) - core file administration (man pages section 1M: System Administration Commands) - Sun Microsystems

I bolded some very important words of that post. They mean the user(s) running the process(es) have the ability to pretty much replace anything and everything in that directory. That could have some incredibly serious security implications.

Also, it's possible that your app has set its own core file size limit to zero. You can use the "plimit" command to work around that. This might work:

plimit -c unlimited,unlimted PID

If that syntax is incorrect, look at the man page for plimit. If the app doesn't continually reset its core file size limit, that will work.

I fully agree. I actually didn't suggest to change that directory permissions. I was just pointing out a common reason explaining why core dumps might not be generated.