Copy image on Server-1 and Restores image on Server-2

Hi,

I have done Copy image and Restores back on Windows.

I have two solaris servers, one contains Solaris OS and Applications on Server-1.

Want i required is want to copy image of Server-1 and restores the copied image on Server-2.

First of all, is it possibile in Solaris. If it is then how to copy and restores image.

Thanks.

Best Regards
Arhsad

You should state what Solaris release you are using and on what hardware (both sides).

And please also state which filesystem you are using...

read up on jumpstart-it allows u to create and restore an image in solaris

I'll assume your purpose is trying to build new server, there other ways to do it.

For solaris it must be same server model exactly the same.

2 ways use dd or try using break os mirror.

using dd command to copy, first boot to single user mode from cdrom boot cdrom -s

you must mustknow exactly which disk is which I suggest you mount the disk to physically check before going any further.

--- example c1td0 is my os disk and c1t1d0 is the blank disk.

AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
0. c1t0d0 <SUN146G cyl 14087 alt 2 hd 24 sec 848>
/pci@0/pci@0/pci@2/scsi@0/sd@0,0
1. c1t1d0 <SUN146G cyl 14087 alt 2 hd 24 sec 848>
/pci@0/pci@0/pci@2/scsi@0/sd@1,0
Specify disk (enter its number):

format the c1t1 disk partition exactly as what is on c1t0 then issue the command.

dd if=/dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s2 of=/dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s2 bs=2048k

if=source of=destination

dd will copy everything even blank spaces and is very risky You must must be certain and know exactly which is which get it wrong os disk will wipeout you been warned! If you are unsure DONT DO THIS!!!

or

on the new server first disconnect all the network cables.

on old server break detach the os disk mirror ---> remove ---> connect into new server exact same disk slot and try to boot it up, you may need to modify ok prompt boot_device settings or installbootblk from cdrom.

Once up change hostname change IP address

For info when I tried similar method on hpux 2 rx servers exact same model does not seem to work when I try remove os disk from one server try to boot up in another.