Converting xls file to xlsx on UNIX script / command line.

Hi All,

Am needing advise on how to convert xls file to xlsx format on Solaris unix command line or scripting. I tried searching online but it looks like I need to either use Perl packages of Excel or Python packages or some other 3rd party tool. Problem is to install any of these will require lot of time. Hence in meanwhile I was checking if we can use some unix command to perform the action.

I'm using sqlplus to spool the output in xls formart with MARKUP HTML ON which is creating huge file which takes a lot of time to open hence needing xlsx which is binary format. I can't use CSV format as almost all the delimiters are part of column values.

Thanks,
Arvind.

You can probably do that, but: as is the same with perl (python, ruby, ....) solutions there are no standard solutions for this and this in turn means you ahve to program something. If installing a solution takes more time than to write one is anybodies guess.

Why don't you use XML as the data interchange format? As far as i know (admittedly, i don't know much about Excel) it can read XML-files.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Excel does to XML what Word does to HTML...