Converting system to trusted

Hi,

I need to convert few HP-UX (V 11.31) machines from un-trusted to trusted.
I used the HP SMH to do this on one server. However when I click on "Yes" to proceed with the conversion, I get this error :

The attempt to convert this system to a trusted system failed.
The command return value was "-1" and the standard error output was: 
The system cannot be converted while shadow passwords are in use.

I googled some solutions, and they suggested using �pwunconv� command to convert the passwords from shadow to non-shadow.
But this could lead to removing the whole PHI (Password Has Infrastructure) software, and user passwords or even user accounts would be eventually deleted.

Please suggest the best way to convert to trusted system, and if the option above is used, is there a way to restore the PHI software?

Thanks,
Aigini

For what reason do you wish to go trusted?
I ask you because using a shadow password is not standard under HP-UX ( it might have changed since I have no new boxes since 2010...) in other words you had an optional package for shadow password when going trusted is native... So what made you or whoever decide for shadow password? Because the reason may still be valid.
I had a server using shadow passwd, because of a software not being able to find the passwords in trusted mode ( I cant remember what it was, sorry...).
the reason you have to use pwunconv is to put back the passwords in /etc/passwd in order to be removed by the conversion and create the adequate files in ...
Found this:

in:
Hewlett Packard Enterprise

Hi,

It's been a long time since I worked on HPUX (15 Years), but from memory there was an other way of preparing the system which I think used the "tsconvert -x" command followed by the "pwconv" command.

This might not be relevant any more as this was HPUX 10.20, but it might be worth exploring - although I may just be having a senior moment.

Regards

Gull04