Convert UFS (root) to VxFS

Hi all,
How to i use vxfs for my server? Because when i install OS, it is installed with ufs, then after Solaris 10 installation, i proceed to install vxfs.

How do i convert all the ufs to vxfs? Or is it what i'm doing is the incorrect way?

Please help. :wall:

Below link will give you step by step process for moving to Veritas for root disk mirroring.

Mirroring the operating system

Still checking for ufs to vxfs migration for root disk. Not sure whether possible or not directly. There should be workarounds for sure.

Is there any specific requirement/improvement you are getting by moving to vxfs?
Please share if any.

FYI,
As per my experience, root disk mirroring with Veritas is not preferred. Root disk mirroring with ufs and SVM is preferred more from native perspective as well future maintenance and patching activities.

Hi, thanks. I will study on the link that you provided.

My server is T2000, so we are using raidctl for mirroring. Actually, many of the critical server we are having is using vxfs for the root. I was wondering how they do that.

Filesystem                          Mounted on
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0               /          <- convert UFS
/dev/vx/dsk/bootdg/rootvol   /          <- to vxfs

Also, there was Shadow Image involved that they said required VxFS in order to shadow it to another server with also VxFS.

So, i need to convert my current UFS as above to vxfs.

---------- Post updated at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:07 PM ----------

I try to reassign c0t0d0 to bootdg but i get this

Which disk group [<group>,list,q,?] bootdg
  VxVM  ERROR V-5-2-3462 bootdg is a reserved disk group name. Currently, it is not set.

---------- Post updated at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:29 PM ----------

I have successfully convert the ufs to vxfs by using vxdiskadm to excapsulate the disk. Thanks.:b:

"encapsulte" a disk has nothing to do with vxfs... you should be aware of that vxvm and vxfs are different things!
why using vxvm for mirroring root disks? zfs or even slvm is free and part of the os. both are easier to handle (maybe only my opinion).
there is one question, what are you trying to achive with your actions? why do you need to use veritas? are there other solutions? and so on...

Hi, i encapsulate the disk and add it to a diskgroup that it become a vxfs. Is there another way to do this?

2      Encapsulate one or more disks
Select disk devices to encapsulate: c0t0d0
Which disk group [<group>,list,q,?] 

We are using Hitachi Shadow Image, it needs to sync our vol to another server which is also using vxfs.

Can you please run below command on filesystem created on c0t0d0?

#fstyp /dev/vx/dsk/<DG_Name>/<Volume_Name>

This command will tell whether filesystem on disk is ufs of vxfs.
As updated by DukeNuke2, I highly doubt that it would be vxfs.

You cannot have a root filesystem as vxfs. UFS or ZFS only.

# fstyp /dev/vx/dsk/bootdg/rootvol
ufs

i was under the impression that /dev/vx means it changed to vxfs.

It doesn't necessarily means that. This was already explained one week ago by DukeNuke2: vxvm and vxfs are different things.

You can actually have VXFS as a root file system. We have some that were setup by the previous company at my work. Probably the dumbest thing I've ever seen actually. My co-workers and I all agree it's one of the craziest things we've ever seen. I can't imagine any logical reason for doing that. Keep VXFS for managing your file systems out on the SAN, but not for your OS disks. Use ZFS ideally, and UFS (with Disk Suite for mirroring) if you have to. An ideal setup these days would be to have ZFS for all root and zone file systems.

By adding VXFS to your root disks is only asking for more trouble and problems in the future. You only want standard OS file systems for your root disks. For example, I know of a way where you can boot off of DVD (or jumpstart), and then have to go through all sorts of trouble just to see the root disks, but why put yourself and co-workers through all that.

You also can't use LU (Live Upgrade) with VXFS. LU requires UFS or ZFS file systems, and with ZFS snapshots doing patch clusters in LU is a piece of cake.

Honestly, unless you're doing VCS I don't see any point in even using VXFS since ZFS can do just about everything you could with Veritas.