convert a specific date to a unix timestamp

hello,

i have an AIX5.3 machine and i am writing a script to display some processes.
inside the script i want to get the time that the process starts and convert it to a unix timestamp.
is there a command that i can use to do that? i search the web but all i found is long scripts and it does not help me.
also note that i cannot use

date -d

command or

mktime

function.
note that i am not asking how to find a command to get the process or the time of the process. i can get the start time of the process the point is to be able to convert the time to a unix timestamp.

thank you in advance

perl -e 'print localtime;'

this command doesnt seem to work for me.
i am using

echo <timestamp> | perl -e 'print localtime(<>) . "\n";'

to convert the timestamp into a human date.
but now i want to do the opposite, meaning converting a specific date into unix timestamp

Please post an example and explain in detail what you mean by a "unix timestamp".

The best time to record when a process starts is in the script you originally used to start the process.
Reading between the lines, it is quite difficult to work from the output from "ps".

by unix timestamp i mean the following:
when you run the command

date +%s

you have an output of an integer. this integer is the unix timestamp in my case. but also in my script i want to get this output by providing any given date. if i run

date +%s

i get the timestamp of the current date and time. i want to input a time to my script and the script display the timestamp of the time that i provided.