controlling /var/adm/messages

Hi,

My sun box, Sun OS 5.5.1, dumps the messages related to one of the network interface ( qfe0 ) as
" Link Down - cable problem.. ? "

The interface is not even plumbed, and of course not connected to the network.

I have tried to plumb the device and kept it down ( not UP ). Still no use..
the message keeps on coming...

Is there any way to control this message dumping.. ( ONLY THIS MESSAGE ) ?

And last but not the least..
..will this continuous alerts degrade the performance... ?

Thanks in advance...

Knowing very little I'd suggest as a start to resolve the Network Interface - possiblly the configuration setup perhaps.

You could make amendments to the syslogd.conf file, but I myself would rather leave it alone - the reporting of such messages serves a purpose and ignoring such messages could inadvertantly ignore other warnings/errors that may occur in the future.

Sorry I can't be more help to you.

See this.

Hello,

I am not using any of these.

But Yeah, I use qfe1 for Veritas heart beat on a private network.

The messages are related to qfe0.

Thanks

Well someone is trying to send an ethernet frame out qfe0. Connect the interface to a network and snoop the interface. Maybe that will give you a clue.

You might be able to use lsof to find the process that is trying to talk on the net.

Here is a link to some Solaris binaries:

http://ftp.u-strasbg.fr/securite/lsof/binaries/sun/solaris/

See also:

http://www.netsys.com/sunmgr/1996-12/msg00065.html

Hello all..

Sorry for a belated update on the subject.. ( happy holidays .. )

Well there was a configuration problem in one of the veritas heart beat ( llttab ) config file. This was corrected performed a reboot. The problem appears to be solved.

Thanks for the inputs.

and thanks for the links to lsof for sol 2.5.1 ( I was in need of that too.. )

This behaviour of the system prompts me to ask another question to this thread.

System is giving warning about the interface which is not even plumbed. My knowledge on interface status is, user can fetch the link status from ndd commands. But quite sometime back, while doing some testing on network redudancy, I have observed onething.
-- The link status gives correct information provided the interface is plumbed and up.---

Is this correct ?.. Or is there any other way to get the correct link_status.

Thanks in advance..

I can't believe that the interface needs to be plumbed for the link status to be correct. "Plumbed" means tcp/ip stack installed. The ethernet driver does not require tcp/ip. Your veritas heartbeat should work fine without the etherface being plumbed.

Are you setting the instance?

ndd -set /dev/hme instance 1
ndd -get /dev/hme link_status

is needed to get the link status of hme1.

Hi,

I agree with you that veritas heart beat can work without plumbing the interface.

Very soon we will be working on the other subject, getting link status when the interface is not plumbed. As you suspected, there may be some problem in setting the instance.

I will post the results for the benefit of forum.

Thank you.