continue the suspended jobs

Guys,
Any idea how to continue suspended job in background ?
ihave tried to use the bg% command <root> but it doesnt work.

unix> jobs
[1] +suspended du > usage
[2] -suspended (sleep 60; date)
unix> bg %2
[2] (sleep 60; date)

But my suspended work doesnt seems to continue run in background.. Any idea ?

You should be able to get back with the fg command (your OS may vary)

Hunter,
fg% can bring the job to foreground. What actually killerserv wants is run the stopped process in the background.

I have tried to resume a stopped process with bg%.
but the job is still not running although it may be in the background. I am having similar observations as Killerserv had..

Well it works for me. After you background a job, does the "jobs" command say it is running? Does "ps" say it is running?

And bear in mind that if a background job attempts to write to the controlling terminal and the controlling terminal has tostop set on, a SIGTTOU will be sent to the background process. If that is happening and you don't want it to, then type "stty -tostop".

Hi!,
I have set the terminal options to "stty -tostop".

now this is what I get when I try to run the VI editor in background which definitely needs a terminal to write.

unix> bg %1
[1] vi test&
unix> jobs
[1] + Stopped (SIGTTOU) vi test

Is it happening bcoz VI is basically an interactive foreground process and so cant run in background?

jyothi,
ive tried that same result on myside.. but i did set stty -tosusp and try both susp and stop:

Could execute vi in background.. At last..
I think should try stty -tosusp instead of stop. I can recall back the vi editor. Works for me :wink:

"stty -tosusp" is not recognised by my OS, i.e Solaris-5.6. It flags an error