Console Setup for RS-232 port on 9131-52A

Hi,
I have tried to setup the console on a Power5 9131-52A type IBM Server. On the back there are 2 RS-232 ports labeled T1 T2. I am going under the assuming that these are the serial ports (Normally the serial ports are S1 S0). When I finish assigning the console under smit, I get no response back from the pc running hyperterm connected to T1 (38400, N, 8, 1, and No flow control)
I dont care if its a web interface I need to configure (ASMI), but, I just need to know if that server supports rs-232 consoles or not?

The default, although you can change it in ASMI, is 19200, 8, n, 1.
Yes the server supports ASCII terminals, and remote-modem-terminals but does not fully support RS232, only enough to support a dumb terminal console device. So you cannot for instance use it for UPS control.
Also these ports only work under AIX if the system is not managed by an HMC.

Some rough thoughts:

Firstly, you'll need to make sure that the port you're connecting to is actually spawning a "getty" to listen for the connection. You'll need something like the second line below in /etc/inittab:

cons:0123456789:respawn:/usr/sbin/getty /dev/console
vty1:2:respawn:/usr/sbin/getty /dev/vty1

If your serial cable doesn't have the DTR and DTD lines (recalled from memory), then you'll need "clogin" as a parameter in smit tty "STTY attributes for RUN time" and "STTY attributes for LOGIN".

does the 9131 have ribbon cables to the serial ports internally, or are they hard soldered into the planar?
Thanks for the suggestions, but nothing is working. I tested on our local power5 server (9117), and Null modem cable to pc works fine. My next test is to boot onto install media and see if it will assign the com port on the IBM to a console.