console for x4600

Hi,

I ;ve a SUN x4600 running solaris 10. I want to connect to the system remotely form console like we can connect to sparc sc or alom ..

you have to configure the netmgmt IP from the Service Processor, check the documention on this.

its already configured and when i type help on the -> prompt it shows following commands

-> help
The help command is used to view information about commands and targets

Usage: help [-o|-output terse|verbose] [<command>|legal|targets]

Special characters used in the help command are
[] encloses optional keywords or options
<> encloses a description of the keyword
(If <> is not present, an actual keyword is indicated)
| indicates a choice of keywords or options

help targets displays a list of targets
help legal displays the product legal notice

Commands are:
cd
create
delete
exit
help
load
reset
set
show
start
stop
version

which command is used to connect to console of the box ?

connect to the ilom with your webbrowser and use the "redirection" to have graphical console access... you need java on your workstation to use the "virtual kvm switch"!

hth,
DN2

access the serial.
->set /SP/network pendingipaddress= youip
do the same for pendingipnetmask,pendingipgateway, set dhcp to static, then set commitpending to true.

->reset
When the iLOM reboots and comes up, connect your notebook(with the same IP range) to the netmgmt port. Open the browser :
https://IPofyouriLOMwhichUset
login through the browser, then you can do whatever you want

Ok thanx for the info .. but what could be the reason for the system un-responsiveness

when i issue any command like w, or top it does not show anything .. just hangs but when i check with vmstat it shows almost 40G of ram is free and 98% of system is free with no io wait .. then what could be the issue ?

# w

4:48am up 58 day(s), 16:51, 4 users, load average: 0.09, 0.10, 0.09
User tty login@ idle JCPU PCPU what

This is not relevant to your post. Now you're talking about OS related issue. what you mean by "hang"?? paste the output.. Maybe you wish to start a new thread afresh ?:o

Sorry i know this is not relevant to my original query .. i 'll initiate a new thread for it .. but now my system is totally hang not even able to get login prompt :slight_smile:

Its not hung maybe.. are you using the keyboard and monitor to connect or what? the output device could have redirected to "virtual-console". Maybe you can try tipping in using your notebook

before trying that, you might want to poweroff/hard reset the system and check again if the "hang" symptom is still there.

seems like the system becomes unresponsive every know and then
and the reason could be the defunct process running ..

# ps -ef | grep defunct | wc -l

will open a new thread for the same. Please reply on the new thread :o