connecting to windows from unix

how to connect to windows from unix???

Hi Hemant,

What do you mean by connect. If you just want the file system of windows to be accessible, you can use the mount, offcourse for that you must have the windows system mounted. You can configure this by fsconf. ( I am assuming you are probably using the linux flavor of unix)

hope this tip helps

btw, I am also Hemant here :slight_smile:

hi...
well...i need to trigger some application which resides on a windows machine through unix...

thanx for the reply...

Oh, I remeber seeing such a thread before, where I had written that you can have a server socket listening on windows and the client socket on your unix system. So if your job on unix gets ovre the client socket on unix will notify the server socket on the windows system.
Let me find that thread and post it as a link (doing this for the first time)

here is the link

Originally posted by linuxpenguin
Oh, I remeber seeing such a thread before, where I had written that you can have a server socket listening on windows and the client socket on your unix system. So if your job on unix gets ovre the client socket on unix will notify the server socket on the windows system.
Let me find that thread and post it as a link (doing this for the first time)

click here

hi hemant...

really greatful to u...for the help...
but it's just that i hv never been into socket programmin...so if u could throw some more light on it...wud be of great help...
thanx once again...

Hemant.

Hi Hemant,

I dont know how socket programming is done on windows side. On Unix side I can tell you some things, you will have to carry on. You will have to go thru some books for more info

socket is a system call in unix, by which you can open a file descriptor at the system level for reading from it or writing to it. Using this file descriptor, you can communicate to other file descriptors ( as in windows !!!)
This is all about inter process communications. A process on unix can talk to a process on windows, thru the IPC tools like socket. For unix sockets I can suggest you to have a look at stevens unix programming. Also on the net you can get a lot of sample socket program

check this out

hey...u provided a valuable information...
will do some rnd over sockets...
thanx...