Connecting to the internet

Hi, I have a router, 192.168.1.1, and an internet router, 10.0.0.138. I have connected the server to the 1st router and assigned it a IP address of 192.168.1.1. I can ping both routers successfully but I have no access to internet. Any suggestions? sco5.0.7

You have to define the default gateway on your server to be the internet router.

If your router is 192.168.1.1 then all other systems on your LAN must have other addresses. 192.168.1.1 can only belong to one device and that's your router. These systems on your LAN would have 192.168.1.1 configured as their gateway.

What is 10.0.0.138 ? Perhaps you mean that's the address of your DNS server? You must also have a DNS server defined otherwise URL's cannot be translated to an internet ip address.

More information please.

I'm sorry the machine is 192.168.1.75.

I'm thing that I already set the gateway through Internet Configuration, correct me if I'm wrong but, how exactly do I set the DNS?

Thanks

Most routers can also act as a DHCP server. Then you can configure all nodes to get an ip address automatically from the router. It can also get the address of a DNS server the same way. For this to work your router must be configured to act as a DHCP server and your nodes on your LAN must be configured to request their ipaddresses (and DNS addresses) from the DHCP server.

Otherwise, you have to configure all this stuff manually and assign your own static ip address to each node.

Also, can you login to your router and confirm that the internet link is up?

What is the 10.0.0.138 address that you made reference to?

That address belongs to the internet DSL router/modem. One more thing, if I set the sco server to receive the address via DHCP, and do a ifconfig -a after rebooting, it seems that it is not getting an address. Could this be the problem? Why is it not getting an address?

Probable cause is that the router (192.168.1.1) is not configured as a DHCP server. Can you login to this router?

Also, of course, the physical connection must be working between the server and the router. Are the cables okay? Are the interface(s) flashing indicating traffic?

Yes, I can access both 192.168.1.1 and 10.0.0.138 by pinging them.

No, I mean can you login to the router?

What is the make/model of router?

Can you connect a standard Windows machine directly to a port on the router with a RJ45 cable?

If so, try entering the URL http://192.168.1.1

The router 192.168.1.1 gives me DHCP leasing and internet access to my windows computers, so I don't think that is the problem. I'm connected with the same cable that I'm trying to connect UNIX with right now on my windows notebook to check the cable.

For me this identifies the SCO box as the problem.

If you have an internet browser on the SCO box what happens if you enter URL:

http://192.168.1.1

???

Do you get the router's login page?

My last active SCO administration role was many years ago but there are some very knowledgeable SCO experts on this forum. jgt is a big SCO forum contributor.
This won't be rocket science for the right expert.

Assign the SCO system a static IP address outside the range of DHCP addresses in the router.
Set the default gateway to the ip address of the router.
Edit /etc/resolv.conf so that it looks something like:

domain local.com        
nameserver 142.77.2.36  
nameserver 192.168.1.1  
hostresorder local bind 
search local.com        

Test it by

# nslookup unix.com            
Server:         142.77.2.36    
Address:        142.77.2.36#53 

Non-authoritative answer:      
Name:   unix.com               
Address: 4.59.125.171          

#                              

Sorry for the delay in answering, I was playing in traffic today.

1 Like