connecting to internet from solaris 10

hi there, hope your chakras are all doing well :slight_smile:

just installed solaris 10 on my laptop, all seems fine except the internet. How can i connect on a DSL line?. spent 7 days and 3 nights trying but couldnt find the starting point....

alikun

There may be other ways....

but usually you would connect your pc / laptop to a router for the networking / internet capability.

-S

thanks -S, thats what i do with my windows OS and it all works fine; when i try with my laptop with solaris, all dead; thought i might need some configuration stuff.

Are you using a wireless connection? Or is it through a lan cable? If it is a wireless connection, you may have to dig up the Solaris drivers for that device. Otherwise, if you have a fixed IP on the net, set your IP address in Solaris to that IP. If you have a dynamic IP or are behind a router, setup a DHCP client under Solaris so that it will pick up an IP when it connects to the network.

Does this help?
http://www.phildev.net/solaris/spppoe.html

blowtorch and Ebbi thanks both very much. I looked at the link by Ebbi and followed some other links where it says: "If your ISP has given you a router, you may not need a PPPoE client on your Linux box. DHCP may work fine". Now the solution seems with blowtorch's statetement: "If you have a dynamic IP or are behind a router, setup a DHCP client under Solaris so that it will pick up an IP when it connects to the network."

Yes, i have a router, dynamic IP and not attempting wireless at this stage (seems more complicated even though i have a wireless adaptor).

Now where can I find DHCP client on my computer?. When i open programs on my laptop using the LAUNCH icon on my task bar (with a little java coffee cup next to it on the left) I am given a menu including APPLICATIONS: here i can see Internet which gives me a sub menu of things including Internet Browser. Is that the way to proceed with DHCP?. I tried the browser but tells me couldnt copnnect.

Thanks a lot for your time
alikun

Do you want the location of the binary or how to use it? :wink:

Check this out:
http://www.rite-group.com/rich/solaris_dhcp.html
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/806-5529

Ebbi thanks a lot for the links. I am getting too much excited about it, and it appears that I am only few clicks away from the internet :slight_smile:

I think I understand my problem: my router doesn't supply a usable hostname, so it gets set to �unknown". To get around that, there are 2 methods, as described in the link you gave me http://www.rite-group.com/rich/solaris_dhcp.html.:

� DHCP has limited control
� DHCP has full control

Number 1:

If I wanted to try method 1 (as I'm not sure if my ISP has a habit of changing DNS name server IP addresses or not, but he/she could be), then there are few things I am not sure about:

1. I just copy the script and paste on my shell?.
  2. Is DEFAULT_ADDR in the script my IP address?. How can I find my own IP address on a laptop not yet connected to Internet?. I remember I was told that IP add while installing Solaris but unfortunately did not write it down.
  3. How do I know if I should be using leo0 or hme0 as my INTERFACE?.

Number Two:

Now let us suppose I wanted to try method 2 as well. This seems much easier i think: I just create two files with the TOUCH command?:

a)

> /etc/hostname.le0

b)

> /etc/dhcp.le0

As for the Host unknown, the page says �"Starting with Solaris 10, the preceding paragraph can be ignored. Instead, just make sure that the hostname you want to use is in /etc/nodename�.

I am on Solaris 10, so seems that I do nothing here.

Thank you very much for your time,

Alikun

1. I just copy the script and paste on my shell?.

I meant this script here:

http://www.rite-group.com/rich/dhcp_client

Dear All,

I was read this thread, and I can't to connect to Internet.
I'm not using DHCP for my Solaris OS but I was configurate my DHCP server and can read my Solaris IP, but I still can't connect to internet.
I'm able ping my pc (Solaris system) from other PC in my network and my DHCP server, I'm using ADSL modem for internet connection and using NAT by router (DHCP Server).Using Mozilla browser and in proxy configurating I'm using system proxy and direct to intenet, I was using manual proxy setting that direct connect to internet.
Any configuarting that not yet setting for connect to internet?:confused:

Thank's very much,

Regards,

heru

1. Can you browse by IP address at all?

2. What is the output when you do "nslookup www.unix.com"?

3. what does your /etc/resolv.conf say?

4. Does your machine have a default route? What happens if you say "route get 82.195.131.187"

Thank's Porter,

yes that's good idea, I never thinking about that before ..:smiley:
I try it and I can browse by IP address, but just in front page, when I click one link to other page, can't open.

# nslookup www.unix.com
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

I don't have this file, this default file? so need create this?

yes I have,
# route get 85.195.131.187
route to: 85.195.131.187
destination: default
mask: default
gateway: 192.168.1.81
interface: rtls0
flags: <UP,GATEWAY,DONE,STATIC>
recvpipe sendpipe ssthresh rtt,ms rttvar,ms hopcount mtu expire
0 0 0 0 0 0 1500 0

Now I can connect to internet but just using IP address , how to using name address?

Regards,

heru

my /etc/resolv.conf basically says....

nameserver 10.1.1.1

which is the internal IP of my ADSL router, my router has built in DNS proxy

You could mess about with DHCP or simply take an address from the DHCP range, (from your router) and set that manually:

/etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1 localhost
<ip address> <hostname> loghost

Put the same in /etc/inet/ipnodes too

/etc/resolve.conf
nameserver <routers IP address>

/hostname.<NIC type>
<hostname>

Where NIC type is hme0 use hostname.hme0, etc.

/etc/nodename:
<hostname>

/etc/defaultrouter:
<router's IP address>

/etc/netmasks:
<your IP range's netmask>

The netmasks files has info to help you in this regard.

Then reboot. Or:

ifconfig <NIC type> plumb
e.g: ifconfig hme0 plumb

ifconfig <NIC type> <IP address> up
ifconfig <NIC type> broadcast <broadcast address>

When your netmask is 255.255.255.0 your boradcast will be the first three octets of your IP address .255 so if your IP is 192.168.0.100 and your netmask is 155.255.255.0 then your broadcast will be 192.168.0.255

Finally setup a default route:

route add default <router's IP address>

so if your router's IP is 192.168.0.1 you'd do:

route add default 192.168.0.1

you can then check all is working with:

netstat -r

This will spit out about 4 lines, one of which should say "default" under "Destination" with "Gateway" being listed as your router's IP and the "flags" being UG

You should also check that /etc/nsswitch.conf

has hosts and ipnodes setup as follows:

hosts: files dns
ipnodes: files dns

This way you can add IP's on your local network, (or even google) to the local hosts table so you don't need to do a remote lookup each time. If you don't have DNS listed it wont check your DNS, even though nslookup will work.

I often find it usefull to actually add the DNS settings being used by my router to /etc/resolv.conf as it speads up the connection, but it can catch you out if the router changes DNS, etc. in which case you just have to update the entries.

Thank's Porter and Praxis22,

Now I can connect to internet, my problem now, I just can using IP address (typing IP address in browser), I want using nema address like www.sun.com and can't link to other page (my be must in IP address to), maybe this browser problem?

Regards,

heru

Did you create an /etc/resolv.conf ?

Dear Porter,

yes, I did,

#more /etc/resolv.conf
servername 192.168.1.81

But still can't open web page using name address

regard

heru

OK, then provided you did actually update /etc/nsswitch.conf as directed, you may have to tell it what your domain is in resolv.conf

Before the namesserver line add a line thus:

domain <your ISP's domain>

You can read up on this by typing:

man resolv.conf

By adding a domain you're tellling it what your domain is, and then anything that's not your domain it will lookup via DNS, again, provided you've told it to use DNS in nsswitch.conf

Thank you praxis22,

now I can using name address for connect to internet..

regards,

heru

Im trying to connect my system to internet , I configured IP address . But i dont know how to configure the DNS address . Can u plzz help me Im using Solaris 10