Connecting to a database via UNIX

hello -

Is it possible to connect to a database at the command line to an Oracle instance whilst logged in on the unix box i.e. not using a script

Cheers

(Running Solaris)

Also if anyone has any info on how a Citirix ICA client might be helpful here that would be appreciated

Cheers

Sure, allways has been. Unless I am missing something obvious, you simply use sqlplus. Some things that you may need some help with though are as follows:

1. Find out the database instance your want to connect to; you DBA can tell you.
  2. Source the Oracle environment file, which is typically kept in /usr/local/bin called oraenv (for sh, ksh, etc.)
. /usr/local/bin/oraenv
  1. When prompted for database, enter the name from step 1.

If oraenv doesn't prompt you for a path, you are finished; run sqlplus.

If oraenv does prompt you for a path, make sure your database name is correct and, if it is, you can either ask the DBA for the path for ORACLE_HOME or you can have a look in a file called "oratab". This is located typically in /var/opt/oracle. Alternatively, it may be located in /etc.

Good luck.

Thomas

P.S. Probably can't answer any Cytrix questions, I used 4 times probably. I may still have a client on my PC so if there isn't anyone else who can answer, I may be able to dig up an answer.