Connecting system to Virtual HMC

Hi,

I just successfully build a Virtual Machine in virtual box with Perfectly running HMC v7. I have a IBM eServer pSeries Model 630 Model 6C4 (Power 4) i.e. 7024-6C4. I am not able to have it connect to the HMC console on the Virtual Box.

Can anyone help me on how to connect it to the Virtual HMC. Thanks!.

p.s.: The 7024-6C4 has two HMC ports on its back.

Um, the p630 is machine type 7028-6C4 not 7024.
The p630 is a power4 box and needs a serial connection to the HMC.
Power4 machines are only supported by HMCs up to version 3.something, I think 3.3.7 was about the latest!
HTH

Yup, 3.3.7 is tha latest to support power 4 systems:

http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/set2/sas/f/hmcl/power4.html

Duke.

Thanks for the reply. The problem is where can I find the Recovery media for HMC v3?? IBM doesnt have it anymore on there website. I am talking about HMC Recovery CD V3 R3.5. Any idea where can I find the ISO??

Thanks!

---------- Post updated 04-30-13 at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous update was 04-29-13 at 06:19 PM ----------

Okay I ordered HMC V3R3 CDs from IBM, received them today. Do I need to edit anything on it as I did on the HMC V7 as mentioned in the tutorial? e.g. model number or anything..?

Sorry mate but if you don't have a real HMC then you don't have a licence to run the code.
End of post.

One of the differences with HMC v3 is that you could install it on "any" PC, there was not specific check that it was being installed on an HMC.

However, if you are trying to learn POWER visualization on a POWER4 system - I recommend you save yourself a lot of trouble. They are two very VERY different approaches.

I have a POWER4 system (p615) and I manage it "remotely" by connecting a serial port from one system that is "always on" to the serial port of my p615, and I just use that menu to Power On the system (p165 does not virtualize at all, p630 was the smallest P4 system that could be virtualized).

My advice: enjoy the P4 as a stand alone system. Nearly nothing of what you can learn about POWER virtualization is applicable to POWER5 and later.

Thanks Michael!

I dont want to practice Virtualization on it. All I want to practice is HMC. I got the HMC v3 up and running with the Web interface client but the problem I am having is that I am unable to connect my server to the HMC. I have connected one end of the serial cable to the HMC port of the server and other end to a USB serial converter which is then connected to my laptop, which connect on com3 port.

On virtual box setting I have given the VM a serial port which has COM3 on it. So technically speaking the virtual HMC has COM3 serial port which is connected to the power4 server.

I am still unable to see the managed system under hmc. Any help would be appreciated.

You connect to the HMC with your laptop via a browser. The serial connection is between the HMC port and the POWER4 serial port.
I never worked with these systems, so I do not know if it is the "normal" com port, of if there is an extra one.

HMC3 is NOTHING like HMC7.7.7 today. Also a "waste" of your time, unless you are writing a historical review of the development of HMC code. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps!

No I am not writing anything of that sort :). I have P7 frames at my work to play for myself. But I do train people part time for AIX. So I wanted to have an HMC so that I can show them what is partitioning ( not talking about PowerVM). Also I wanted to make two partitions of the power4, one to be NIM server to that I can play with that as well. I don't want to play with the systems at my work that is the reason I am doing this small project.

Well, if you have the resources - connect the serial port between the HMC and the POWER4.

The concepts are similar so you should be able to figure out what is what. Initially, if this is now on a real PC - I would start working from the HMC console. I never worked with HMC before POWER5, but I believe it was also a websm lookalike and I am unsure what the best approach is for a remote connection. When I used HMC version 5 and 6 I installed the websm client (with embedded java runtime) on my PC/laptop. I expect HMC4 and earlier will be the same.