Connect from Windows Using SSH

Hi Everybody,
I have 2 Servers (AIX 4.3), recently I installed SSH in both servers successfuly. I can connect from one server to another using SSH. My problem is when I tried to connect from Windows workstation to one of these servers the connection timed out. I'm using PUTTY to connect to the servers. I generated a public-key & copy it to the remote host, but still getting that same error "connection time out.". Finally, I tried using another SSH Client software instead of PUTTY, but also I got the same error. Could any body help in this problem?

Have you tried connecting to port 22 from the windows machine using telnet?

Ex. telnet hostname.domain 22

You should see the SSH daemon answer the connection.

Jim Hirschauer

Jim,

Good answer but next time, leave off the advertising. URL removed.

Then I will also keep my free advice to myself. Farewell.

Jim Hirschauer

Thanks Jim for your response, but I don't understand exactly what do you mean by connecting to port 22 using telnet?
Also, what do you mean by telnet hostname.domain 22? Is it the command's syntax if I want to connect to port 22 using telnet?

Jim was telling you to use telnet (available on Windows) to see if you can get anything from port 22 on one or both of the AIX systems.

telnet your-host 22
Is stating to telnet to server "your-host" on port 22 (see the telnet man page on one of your AIX servers for more info). Just switch "your-host" with the name or IP of one of your AIX servers.

I tried to telnet with port 22 but I get the following error:
Could not open a connection to host on port 22 : Connect failed

Can you connect your windows box to another service in your AIX? (i.e smtp, pop3,etc)

infierno, I did'nt understand exactly what do you mean? But I can connect to the Server from Windows using telnet & ftp.

In general, the message that you got means that no process is listening on that particular port. Are you sure that the SSH daemon (sshd) is up and running?

I'm sure 100% that sshd is up & running. Note that I can connect to the server from another AIX server using SSH.

maybe there is a firewall between your AIX and the rest of the network, blocking the port 22 (ssh) to everyone except to another servers (the other AIX which has ssh access to 'this' server) :confused:

try to use netterm program

it is easy

niazi