Conflicts in the output of TOP command

Hi All,

In the output of TOP command in my unix system, i monitored that some process has utilization more than 100% even some process has 4000% utilisation.
Please help me understand how it is possible to show more than 100% utilization.
Please see the screenshot below:

This would suggest that you are on a multi-processor system and the process running is multi-threaded to take advantage of the hardware. You will only get up to 100% per processor, but they will be totted up for a multi-thread process.

Do you have 40 processors or more?

The other potential is for a process that is started during the time that top is taking it's sample. If it takes 0.1 seconds for top to collect everything and a process starts after 0.09 seconds but still gets collected, I have seen that skew the figures momentarily.

Perhaps from the command line, you could use vmstat 2 2 at the time and find the CPU counts there for the whole machine. You can also:-

ps -ef | sort -n +3

... on older unix servers to get the busiest process at the bottom of the list and you can check if it is newly started. The sort would change to:-

ps -ef | sort -k4

I hope that this helps.

Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

1 Like

Thank You Robin, I Will Check With The Number Of Processors and Also The Commands You Have Given.
Thank You :b: