Configure Power Settings on Boot

Hi all, this is my first question on this forum, so if it isn't in the correct location, please let me know where to post.

We are using Solaris 8 and with the power setting enabled the monitor will not wake up. It can take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes for the monitor to display.

One of the individuals here thinks that the machine needs to have the configuration reset and then reconfigure to disable. I thought this was kind of extreme and since it has been over 20 years since I worked on UNIX and have never really done much with Solaris, I wasn't comfortable doing this.

After doing some research, I noticed that the power settings for the display are enabled, when I disable them the monitor responds better. But, after a while it goes back to the original settings. Especially when rebooting.

I contacted a collage colleague who has worked on Solaris for most of her career. She talked to someone that she works with who was having the same problem some time ago. He suggested using the following commands:

xset -dpms
xset s 0 0

When I enter these commands in the term window the monitor works fine and never goes to sleep. We turn off the monitor by hand. The problem comes in when we reboot the system; the commands need to be manually re-entered.

So, the question is what script(s) needs to be modified with these commands so they are executed on startup? A link to where this could be done will help greatly.

Thanks
Larry

unless there are better suggestions ...

try adding those lines into /etc/profile ... that way they are automatically run upon login ...

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for where to put these when the machine boots up. Any suggestions there?

These commands should be run for each X session.

Even while you set these settings to the initial X session (dtlogin banner), they would very likely be reset after new logins.

1 Like